Check out the Featured Blog Feeds.

Check out the Submission Guidelines.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Changes To Labels

I made a list of all the labels used in BBD. My goal was to see what problems I could find before things got out of hand.

There are roughly 200 labels being used right now. 50 are for admin purposes or BBD Blog. The other 150 labels are used to categorize 49 blogs. BBD is growing and as the number of listed blogs grows so will the number of labels in use. I don't want to dictate how bloggers should label their blogs but I will have to establish some rules.

The screenshot below shows the current set of labels sorted by frequency.



Here are some things I noticed:

  • Some labels are confusing or even misleading when not viewed in the context of the blog description.
  • Some bloggers use too many similar labels when one or two will do. The labels in BBD are used to navigate this blog first and show up in search engines second.
  • Using a blog's title or the blogger's name as labels in BBD seems unnecessary.

What am I going to do? I am going to redo my Labels page and use some more standardization. I will also write up some guidelines and one or two rules.

Why am I doing this? I want allow bloggers to define their blogs in their words, not mine, but I also want to keep things manageable.